Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Thing 4 - Keeping Up

Everyone has that thing/person they secretly search for online almost every single day. Tom Cruise. Three-legged dogs. Art made with fruit. Who's in the county jail. That perfect bedspread. Cute babies making funny faces. (You're wondering what mine is, right? I'll tell you at the end of the post)

Anyway, that's what Flipboard is for. I think. I'm not sure because I am still figuring it out.

Subscribe to your go-to websites, Twitter users, Facebook pages.
Check Flipboard daily, hourly, whatever - to see the most recent updates.

Then you can even go a step further and add articles, tweets, images, videos, etc. to your own magazine within the app and have that magazine be private or public.

Of course you can have more than one "thing" you follow and it can be professional or personal or a combination of both. This is where I had trouble - I subscribed to everything and then realized I'm never going to read it all, so now I'm going back through my subscriptions and being more selective. I will definitely be using this app once I have the content I NEED (as opposed to WANT) and WILL read.

I will probably unlink my Twitter and Facebook and try to focus on the websites I visit frequently. I think the Facebook newsfeed tries to show me what I want to read like Flipboard has the potential to do, but Facebook doesn't always do a good job and I haven't figured out an efficient way to fix that.

I would like to work within Flipboard to create a magazine of items to add to our library's collection because I'm often reading about a new book or movie at home and then writing it down on a piece of paper and losing that paper in my bag. If I can create a personalized magazine of items for our library, that will be easier for me to keep track of. I peruse websites with book reviews, bestseller lists and movie picks all the time, so Flipboard should make my life easier.

Now for my "thing" - I look for squash recipes. I love squash! Also, I like to search for new books by Minnesota authors (memoirs, picture books, mystery, history, anything about Minnesota or by Minnesota)
Butternut and Spaghetti Squash from our garden

I haven't had a chance to explore Zite yet, but I do plan to, so hopefully I'll get to throw in an edit later.

No comments:

Post a Comment